Sunday 3 March 2013

Interview with Charlie Plunkett






 Today I'm lucky enough to have the very generous and very talented Charlie Plunkett visit.  You can find out more about her well-loved books and see what makes her tick on her fabulous blog: http://www.charlieplunkett.co.uk/about/







Hello Charlie and congratulations on your new book '100 Little Words on Parenthood'.
 ( http://tinyurl.com/b4jgx45)

Thanks Bev.  It's great to be here!

If you're ready, I have a few questions for you.

Fire away! 


Have you always wanted to write, or did it just happen out of the blue?


I have always wanted to write. My childhood ambitions were to be a ballerina, author and ahem a Victorian! I managed the first two on my list but the last will remain unfulfilled until a time machine is invented.

Would you ever be tempted to write a novel?

Yes I would, in fact I have a couple of ideas for fictional novels that keep clambering for my attention. I really must do something about that!

What kind of books do you like to read?

My reading tastes are somewhat eclectic everything from chic-lit, to thrillers, to memoirs and I do love a good travel book.

Have you been inspired by any writer in particular?

My goodness to pick just one is difficult as so many writers inspire me the list is endless. I love Sophie Kinsella, Belinda Jones and Bernadette Strachan for chick-lit. When it comes to memoirs I really enjoyed reading The Tent the Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy. All of the ‘Merde’ books by Stephen Clarke and not forgetting your fabulous book Bunny on a Bike. Dan Brown is my man for thrillers along with Stephen C Spencer. I was very inspired by Amanda Hockings success as an Indie author with her Trylle Trilogy and also by Kathryn Stockett author of The Help, who received so many rejection letters before her book received the critical acclaim it so deserved. My top crime authors are Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich and Peter James.

Two desert island books?

Two of my favourite books that I couldn’t put down and know I will re-read –

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Griffin Cryer by Julia Hughes

What is your favourite time of the day?

I’m a night owl so the evening/early hours of the morning, when everyone else is sleeping I’m happiest tapping away at the computer.

Do you spend a lot of time on Twitter?

My husband would say yes! I’m not constantly on there but I do like to keep up with my twitter pals and support them in whatever they are doing. I have met some amazing people and particularly for writing have found it to be an infinite source of information and support.


Where do you stand on housework?

If you saw my living room right now you would say I’m not standing at all I’m lying down I’m so slack with it. I’m a Virgo and supposedly we are neat freaks, so something is not quite right there! I have dreams of being a domestic goddess and I do try to stay on top of things like the laundry and washing up yawn. I love cooking and baking so I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen and am proud/ashamed to confess I have not ironed a thing for around 15 years, I believe in Lycra and non-crease shirts for the hubby!

Rice or pasta?  Wine or beer?  Books or Kindle?  Dark or milk chocolate?  Sprouts or peas?

Rice, wine, this next one is a draw because I do love books but my kindle is also very handy, dark chocolate and sprouts. Blimey not all at the same time though!

Which famous person would you choose to spend an evening in the pub with?

Oh my! Any of the authors I mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t mind five minutes with each to ask their top tips for writing.

What about your next book?

I have a couple of books on the go at the moment so it could be the sequel to my ‘true diaries’ The Toddler Files which will follow my little boy from his first birthday to his first day at school and I did start writing a theatrical memoir a while back that I would love to finish. It’s a whole different side to me that not many people know about and will be about my time spent training to be a professional dancer, working in a Mexican circus, being an actress and running a performing arts school.


Where do you write?

Sat at our living room table, facing the windows so I can look out at the seagulls on the rooftops across the street and surrounded by notepads, chocolate and the odd glass of wine hic!

Why do you write?

It’s just something I have always done since childhood, like a photographer wanting to capture a moment on film I’ve always wanted to remember special moments and leave them for the next generation to enjoy. I come from a family where it was normal to leave scribbled messages on the walls before we wallpapered and to sew messages into pillows, ripped from my calendar. I’ve always been fascinated with diaries and keeping boxes of personal treasures, I guess I’m just a sentimental soul at heart.






Thanks Charlie, it's been a pleasure to talk to you.  A bientôt!

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant interview - "100 Little Words" is an absolute tonic and I thoroughly recommend this magical book. Once more Charlie is teasing us with the Mexican dancing stories - this one has to be written next!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia
    Thanks so much for joining us and I promise to get the Mexican circus included in a book really soon, just for you.
    Charlie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bev,
    Stopping by to check out your blog, looks great! Check out mine sometime... http://waynelmurphy.blogspot.com/
    Have a great Sunday!
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete